Sunday, July 15, 2012

Artwork: Flying Monkey Flashback!

I am not obsessed with monkeys, honest... I was at the bookstore and got inspired by a Wizard the Oz book, and wanted to do a piece of one of the characters. I have always been drawn to the Tin Woodsman, because when I was a little kid, I thought he looked the most futuristic, like a spaceman... So I chose to do him, as if he was having a flashback to the Flying Monkey attack. That scene to me was scary: strange creatures attacking, complete chaos, the scarecrow being ripped apart, and kidnapping! I can't think of many other movies I saw when I was younger that gave me the feeling that scene did.

Left: Sketchbook, Right: Drawing on watercolor paper 
Thinking of doing the original in watercolor, and coloring the scan digitally, just for a change of pace.
Penciled Woodman: levels adjusted
..and after, I dunno...maybe about 5-7 hours (Thank you Spotify, for keeping me sane!), the watercolor is done. 2 things: I forgot how much fun watercolor can be, and I didn't use a marker. I have been trying to get away from using them, if only because I don't like to rely on them all the time. I researched to see what rust looked like on tin, because I always thought it was strange that, in the movie, the Woodsman would just freeze, but you would never see any rust on him: 

Finished WC... The new scanner did a pretty good job!
For a little while, I was worried. When I started adding the rust, he looked like he has thrown up on himself, or had the Ebola virus. I tried to add rust in the grooves and joints of his metal, or anywhere there would be excess moisture (eyes, mouth). He is coughing up a screw, because instead of phlegm, I would imagine a metal man would cough up rivets or washers or something of that nature.

I also have his funnel rising off his head, as I always assumed it was a hat that he would take off... like when he entered a church or stood for the National Anthem.

As always, Comments/Criticism welcome :)


No comments:

Post a Comment